Friday 28 June 2013

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Lace Back Denim Shirt/Blouse


Happy Friday, Refashioners!!! So, if it's Summer and warm where you are here's a little garment refashioning idea that might be up your street. This refashion is something I came up with last year, but is not an idea I claim to have invented! I can't remember if it came from my brain, or translated from something I'd seen online or elsewhere, but I definitely know I've seen other lace-backed blouses, shirts and dresses out there. Although this one is particularly ace because it is made from an unwanted shirt that might otherwise have found itself in a landfill (boo!!!). 


Quite simply, it's made by cutting up the original denim/chambray shirt and harvesting the back, collar and sleeves for other projects. I used a very basic shell top pattern and recut the front of the blouse incorporating the shirt's original buttons, button-stand and hem (as with many of my men's to women's shirt refashions). The back was cut from a piece of off-white lace. 


I wanted to bring more of the lace detailing into this creation, so I drafted a simple collar that would finish either side of the button stand. The top collar is cut from the same lace, and the under collar cut from more of the denim shirt that was harvested from the back panel or sleeves. 


If you wanted to make a version of this project for colder days, or for those who don't want their bra strap on show, you could always make the back panel with a lace overlay instead of as a single layer. Oh, and if it's Winter, you may want sleeves!

8 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Ooh, love this Zoe, I've been thinking lace back tops recently too, but hadn't got this far- more just tee shirts. This is cute !

Claire said...

This is so pretty! I love all things with lace and this is no different.

Sarah said...

very cute top. I love the wee collar, like how it sits quite flat - I am working on my neck stitching to stop it rolling in, without having to do a top stitching on the outside. practice (and pressing) makes perfect one day hopefully. Thanks again for the inspiration

Hazel_Myope said...

Just remember to put on enough lotion or you might get a very strange sunburn! :)

110 Creations said...

So pretty! I posted about a similar shirt, using a lace blouse I got from a garage sale, just this week! Must be a lace shirt kind of month :)

Shannon said...

This is really cute! The collar really pulls it all together.

Shelly said...

Ooh, I love this. Lace and denim is the perfect combination both feminine and relaxed. Superb!

Unknown said...

So pretty! Lace and denim is the perfect combination xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...